Can Molds Make You Fall Ill?

Can Molds Make You Fall Ill

Most homeowners understand the dread that comes with spotting molds in their homes and tends to have a natural aversion to it.  Molds are not easy to get rid of and can cause structural damage if left unaddressed. And often without your knowledge, molds can sometimes have a serious effect on your health.

Basic Facts About Molds

Mold is a different type of fungi that grows in dark, moist environments.  It is present almost everywhere, including the air.  It stays where moisture resides for long periods of time like in bathrooms, basements, and kitchens.  

Generally, normal amounts of mold in the environment do not pose a substantial health risk to healthy people with regular and normal immune system function.  However, some people may be more sensitive to mold spores than others, and they may develop respiratory symptoms after inhaling even a small number of spores. In large quantities, mold spores can cause ill health in almost anyone.

 

Causes of Mold Growth

Moisture is the main cause of mold growth since the other conditions on the list are always going to be present in homes.

-Humidity

-Condensation

-Leaks in Roof 

-Leaking Pipes

-Flooding

-Poor Ventilation

 

Mold Illness

Prolonged exposure to water-damaged buildings can cause people to fall ill.  There have been different names for the illness over the years, including “Mold illness.”  This illness is not an allergy. It is an inflammation within the body that is caused by an immune system that is in disarray.  

 

Symptoms

Exposure to mold can cause symptoms and other types of health problems such as:

 

Allergy and irritation

 

People with allergies may be more sensitive to mold than others. They may experience symptoms like the following if they come into contact with mold.

 

 

Infection

People with weakened immune systems are at risk of fungal infections.

 

Toxic effects

All molds are capable of producing mycotoxins.  Most cases of mycotoxicosis result from eating moldy food, rather than from inhaling fungal spores in the home or outdoors. The evidence does not indicate that inhaling or touching mold can cause mycotoxicosis.

There was a report in 2004 that was unable to back up claims that issues such as fatigue, lung disease, or cancer result from mold exposure.  According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there are very few reports of rare health conditions resulting from mold in the home.

 

Keeping Your Home Safe

 

If you are experiencing black mold or other types of mold in your home, there are steps you can take to remove the mold from your home.

You can identify black mold by its characteristic black, mottled, and splotchy appearance. Mold also has a musty odor. 

If you recognize tiny amounts of mold, you can usually get rid of it with a mold-removing spray. You can also use a bleach solution of 1 cup household bleach to 1 gallon of water.

If there’s a lot of black mold in your home, hire a professional to remove it. If you are just renting, tell your landlord about the mold so they can hire a professional.

Mold professionals can identify all areas where mold is growing and how to best remove it. 

Once you’ve removed the mold from your home, you can help stop it from growing again by following these simple reminders:

  • keeping humidity at a low level with a dehumidifier
  • keeping your bathroom, laundry, and cooking areas well ventilated
  • cleaning and drying any water that floods your home
  • fixing leaky doors, pipes, roofing, and windows

 

 

 

The Upshot

Black mold and other types of mold may not be super deadly, but it can make some people fall ill.  If you have any reaction from mold exposure, see your doctor to judge if you have an allergy or other medical condition causing your symptoms.

The best way to stop a reaction to mold is to remove it from your house and then prevent it from growing back. 

Need help? Our technicians are highly trained to provide mold removal and remediation in your home or business.  Please don’t hesitate to contact our local office, Water Damage Costa Mesa.  We offer 24/7 emergency service. Give us a call to know more about our services.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *