Simple Tips to Prevent A House Fire Emergency

Simple Tips to Prevent A House Fire Emergency

Many homeowners lost their homes and properties in a fire. In fact,  according to statistics, almost 354,000 home structure fires have happened in the last five years. Fire incidents can be very traumatic, but they can all be prevented when proper precautions are done. In this article, you will learn tips on how to prevent a house fire emergency. 

 

Most Common Causes of A House Fire

To know how to avoid a house fire, here are some of the most common causes.

  • Cooking-related fires

One of the most common causes of a house fire is a cooking fire. Pots and pans can quickly overheat and catch fire, specifically if they are left unattended. Cooking utensils and appliances are often vulnerable to catching fire, as some of them lose control fast.

  • Heating Devices

If clothing and fabric materials are left unattended near portable heaters, they may cause a fire. Furthermore, fuel-powered heaters are much more dangerous because they can ignite or combust if not closely supervised.

  • Appliances

If an appliance is defective, old, or overused, it may catch fire. Sparks, frayed wiring, and house fires may all result from these.

  • Electrical Fires

Short circuits trigger sparks, which can possibly ignite any nearby materials such as plastics, woods, and papers, resulting in an electric fire. Furthermore, overloading electrical outlets or unorganized wiring (octopus wirings) can cause house fires by overheating.

  • Smoking

Smoking indoors can trigger a fire, especially if it is not thoroughly extinguished and left unattended. If it comes into contact with some flammable materials, it may catch fire.

  • Candles

A lit candle left unattended may cause a large fire, particularly if it comes into contact with clothing materials in the vicinity.

  • Children playing fires

Children are naturally curious about how things work, and they will sometimes experiment with matches, lighters, and gadgets to satisfy their curiosity. Leaving them unattended could result in a house fire.

 

Tips to Prevent a House Fire Emergency

Preparedness must be the number one priority of every homeowner to prevent a fire disaster.

  1. Install a smoke alarm in every level of your house, inside and outside of your sleeping area.
  2. Develop a fire safety plan, and try to plan a fire escape area.
  3. Install a fire extinguisher, especially in the kitchen, laundry room, and outside the bedroom.
  4. Don’t forget to leave your cooking unattended. 
  5. Make sure to clean and dry the cooking equipment after using.
  6. To avoid overheating and producing sparks, always unplug unused appliances.
  7. Test the smoke alarms every month. If not working, change the batteries or replace them every ten years.
  8. Do not leave lit candles and open portable heating appliances near any fabric materials.
  9. Store flammable chemicals, materials, and liquids out of the reach of children.
  10. Teach children the proper use of appliances, smoke alarms, fire extinguishers, and materials around your home.
  11. Make sure that everyone knows how to call emergency contacts.
  12. Always remember the two ways to escape a house fire, get out and stay out.
  13. Use a flashlight when the power is out, not candles.
  14. Use fueled-working heating appliances ONLY if permitted by law.
  15. Try not to overload electrical outlets and extension cords.
  16. Make sure the wirings are never attached with nails or concealed under the rugs.
  17. Repair or replace frayed extension cords, exposed wires, or loose plugs.
  18. Consider step-ladders for emergency escape.
  19. Make sure to conduct a home safety fire drill for all members of the family.
  20. Ensure to have a safe spot outside for a family meeting place after a fire. 

If a fire occurs in your home;

  1. Get out immediately, and DO NOT go back for anything.
  2. Call fire emergency services.

 

For Fire Damage Clean-up and Restoration, Call an Expert.

If a fire happens in your home, cleaning up is not an easy task. You might feel frustrated and stressed. But, having fire damage around can ease your worries. In case of fire damage, contact professionals at Superior Restoration immediately. 

We, at Superior Restoration, offer quality fire damage cleanup and restoration services.  We have a team of expert professionals ready to restore your home to its original condition. Contact our local office today, Water Damage Costa Mesa, today. 

Everything You Need To Know About Soot Damage

Everything You Need To Know About Soot Damage

Statistics show that nearly 1.4 million people have killed because of fire, smoke, and soot damage in 2018. Fire isn’t the lone perilous occasion most mortgage holders need to manage. Soot particles that are left behind could cause danger if not treated properly. In this article, you will learn the hidden dangers of fire soot and steps on how to clean them. 

 

What Is Soot? 

Soot is a tiny particle that is sometimes called lampblack or carbon black. It is a powder that can be slightly sticky and is a product of the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels. Also, soot is composed of different chemicals that depend on what had been burned during the harmful event. 

During a house fire, soot spreads through the air and lingers on any exposed surfaces, contaminating the area. Moreover, soot can be produced even not during a fire, but excessive use of scented candles can be a culprit. Thus, soot properties can further damage your home and indoor air quality if not removed properly. Better ask the experts for a thorough cleanup. 

 

Types of Soot

Dry soot

This type of soot is associated with a fast-burning fire and mostly occurs at high temperatures.

Wet Soot

It appears as a sticky residue or soot. Often associated with a soldering type of fire and often presents with a strong odor.

Protein

This type of soot is usually invisible. It can be the perpetrator of discoloring paints and varnishes. Protein produces a strong odor caused by food that has burned.

 

Dangers of Soot

Soot particles, if inhaled or ingested can pose danger to one’s health. According to Environmental Defense Fund, even brief exposure to soot can lead cause serious health problems. Infants, elders, and those with weakened immune systems are more at risk of developing such diseases;

Soot can cause:

  • Asthma
  • Eye and Skin Irritation
  • Shortness of breath
  • Heart attack
  • Stroke
  • Coronary heart disease
  • Bronchitis
  • Cancer

 

DIY Soot Clean Up

Soot damage needs a proper cleaning. Nonetheless, you can use some of these tips to clean up some soot in your residence.

  1. Use safety gears before dealing with the soot or residues.
  2. Do not eat or drink in the area where soot damaged items are stored.
  3. Wear an air-purifying respirator to avoid inhaling toxic particles.
  4. Wear nitrile gloves before touching contaminated surfaces.
  5. Do not touch your face while your gloves are on.
  6. Wear safety glasses to prevent the particles from going through your eyes.
  7. Use a strong vacuum to remove loose particles on all surfaces.
  8. You could also use a lambswool duster to dust off particles, depending on the surface sizes and the amount of dry soot.
  9. You need to prioritize which items need immediate cleaning.
  10. Place the small objects in another area and clean them after an extensive vacuum cleaning is complete.
  11. Wooden materials in your house need to be re-paint or varnished and deodorized. 
  12. Use a dry chemical sponge to clean off the wood and finish up by wiping it with a damp cloth.
  13. You may use a wood conditioner or polish after the wood is completely dry.
  14. Use water and a specialized cleaner to clean hard surfaces, such as countertops and floors.
  15. Spray the cleaner on before wiping the surface.
  16. Rinse it with clean water.
  17. After cleaning the area, use a mixture of water, baking soda, and vinegar to eliminate strong odor.
  18. Make sure to wash your hand thoroughly after taking off the gloves.
  19. Call for professional help to ensure the safety of your health from soot damage.

 

Professional Soot and Smoke Cleanup

Smoke and soot can be hazardous if you deal with them alone. It takes so much effort and time to clean up all the residue and prevent possible side effects. However, soot or residue must be cleaned by professionals to ensure the safe use of your residence. 

Hiring a fire damage restoration company like Superior Restoration helps you with a proper clean up of all the residue or soot that has left after a devastating fire. They have an experienced team and quality equipment that helps you with full smoke and soot tidy up. Contact their local office, Water Damage Costa Mesa, today.