With over 68 million confirmed cases of Covid-19 and a vaccine that is not yet available for everyone, the best way to protect yourself and your family from the virus is to keep your home disinfected and limit outdoor activities. COVID 19 can easily spread in all areas of your home when a carrier sneezes or coughs without following the proper protocol. Thus, it is vital to guard your home against the virus. Here are some COVID-19 cleaning and disinfection tips to follow.
The Most Frequently Touched Surfaces in Your Home
- Electronics such as smartphones, tablets, laptops, and computers.
- Accessories such as TV remote controllers, gaming controllers, keyboard, and mouse.
- Furniture like a table, chair, desk, and sofa.
- Door Knobs handle and light switches, entrance doors, and window handle.
- Kitchen appliances, utensils, and cooking equipment.
- Shared kitchens and bathrooms.
- Kitchen and bathroom counters, toilet seats and handles, faucet, and faucet handle.
How Long the Virus Lives on the Surfaces
According to studies, the virus lives on metal for five days, plastic for 3 to 7 days, stainless steel for 3 to 7 days, copper for 4 hours, paper for up to 4 days, cardboard for 24 hours, glass up to 4 days, and wood for 48 hours. Researchers suggest that SARS-CoV-2, the virus that has enabled COVID-19 to spread across the world, may survive on porous surfaces for up to 28 days.
Tips on Cleaning and Disinfecting Your Home
- Disinfect yourself first before cleaning any surfaces in your house. Use soap and water and do the proper handwashing and make sure to use disinfectant alcohol. Wear a mask and reusable or disposable gloves for cleaning and disinfecting the surface.
- According to the CDC, cleaning with soap and water reduces the number of germs, impurities, and dirt on the surfaces. Do routine cleaning for frequently touched surfaces.
- Use diluted bleach with 70 % isopropyl alcohol for disinfecting surfaces. According to the Journal of Hospital Infection, Coronavirus deactivated within a minute after disinfecting with chemicals containing 62 to 71% alcohol. Bleach solutions will take effect for disinfection for up to 24 hours.
- For a cheap and effective disinfectant, mix up to 3 teaspoons of bleach in 1 gallon of water and then wipe it on the surface and leave it for 3 to 5 minutes. Make sure to rinse the area and let it air-dry. Do not mix alcohol and bleach, and do not mix vinegar with ammonia either to avoid possible hazards and explosions.
- If someone is sick in your home, prevent the virus from spreading by using a disinfectant such as Clorox Disinfecting Wipes, Lysol Laundry Sanitizer, and Microban 24 Multipurpose Disinfecting Spray. Make sure to clean and disinfect your home at least once a day.
- Read and follow the instructions and labels before using any chemicals. Make sure to wear skin protection and eye protection for potential splash hazard, ensure adequate ventilation, avoid mixing chemical products, and make sure to follow the exact amount stated on the label. Always use disinfectant and boil-washed used clothes in cleaning.
- Never store the disinfectant near the food storage and from the reach of children. Make sure to restore it in the right space. Label the disinfectant and chemicals.
Professional COVID-19 Cleaning Services
Despite the several warnings and protocols provided by the government and medical professionals, to stop spreading or acquiring the virus is to start it with yourself and in your home. Protect yourself by wearing a mask and a face shield when outside or in public places, washing your hands using soap and water, using alcohol or sanitizer, and observing proper social distancing. Furthermore, to ensure thorough cleaning and disinfection of your home or business, contact professionals at Superior Restoration.
Superior Restoration offers professional COVID-19 cleaning services. Our trained technicians are experienced in removing germs and viruses suck as COVID-19 and others. They will come well-equipped and prepared to ensure that your home is safe and virus-free. You may call our local office, Water Damage Costa Mesa to learn more about our cleaning and disinfecting services.